hard heads soft hearts

a scratch pad for half-formed thoughts by a liberal political junkie who's nobody special. ''Hard Heads, Soft Hearts'' is the title of a book by Princeton economist Alan Blinder, and tends to be a favorite motto of neoliberals, especially liberal economists.
mobile
email

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, June 14, 2002
 
If it's so obvious that Linda Chavez shouldn't be
prosecuted for harboring an illegal alien and lying to
the FBI, why was it so damn proper, necessary and
noble to prosecute Henry Cisneros & Archie Schaeffer?
And why won't the mainstream press see this obvious
double standard?

When Ashcroft piously says he will enforce the law,
blithely refusing to acknowledge the *enormous*,
ineradicable, discretion an attorney general has,
doesn't he further demonstrate the smarmy dishonesty
which makes him unsuitable for the job in the first
place?

Why doesn't anyone call him on this bullshit? And why
doesn't anyone make a simple point: Under an Ashcroft
reign, Democrats will be relentlessly persecuted and
subpoenad while Dan Burton, James Trafficant and Haley
Barbour will be left free to do anything they please.
And the tapegate probe will be conveniently iced.

This stuff is really bothering me, and I'm losing
faith in the system.

on a lighter note, reading your "just when I'm out,
they pull me back in!" quote reminded me I wasn't the
only one to waste a perfectly good day watching "The
Godfather Saga".

Another good one is "All my life I've tried to go
legitimate. But the higher up I went, the crookeder it
got"

Also "Just don't tell me you're innocent, Carlo.
Because it insults my intelligence. And makes me
angry. Was it Barzini, or Tattaglia?"

I've had my intelligence insulted plenty by the
Republicans (also the paglia/sullivan types). and it
sure is making me angry.